My new endeavor is three months old now and it is fresh, invigorating, challenging and targeted to a niche that is so often overlooked in the cause of Christ … .namely LEADERS …. business, political and spiritual leaders. God has given me a huge heart for leaders. I love leaders who stand in the gap … who stay solution centered … who choose not to shrink back and who are learning to honor God above all else. The mission of GRACE ADVENTURES is Transforming Our World through Christ, One Leader at a Time. Day after day I invest in leaders. My call is to bring people to Jesus and leave them with Him. Jesus is the vine, we are the branches … Apart from Him we can do NOTHING. Jesus said, “Nothing.” (Sometimes the Spirit reminds me, “What part of NOTHING do you not understand?”) In light of this, I thought this month I would give you a few prayer requests to bring to Jesus on our behalf.
1. I am still a pastor by calling. A pastor at large in the community to go to all the places I hear the Spirit’s tug. The Holy Spirit has impressed on me that I am in the people building business. If I stay focused on people I best serve the church of Jesus Christ. Pray I bring people to Jesus and leave them there.
2. Leaders are running at warp speeds and in many cases it is unsustainable. Pray I inspire leaders to soul care, spiritual formation and a God-centeredness. A fisherman told me that if trout stay in the current too long they get exhausted and end up on their backs dead. They need to occasionally hide behind a big rock, find quiet waters or discover a deep spot. Isn’t that true for all of us. Pray for leaders to come apart before they come apart.
3. Pray for my visits with elected officials. It is easy to knock political leaders but they are people too. The demands are great. The resources scarce. Long hours are demanded. Almost no one is happy these days. Pray for your leaders (I Tim. 2:1-4). Pray Bold. Pray Well. Pray for their spouses. Pray for open doors with each appointment I have.
4. Pray for the Bible studies and key discipling relationships that are forming. Pray for the business community of Christ-followers to adorn the doctrine of God in the marketplace (Titus 2:10).
5. Pray for my work with spiritual leaders. Who shepherds shepherds? Isn’t it true - Smite the shepherd and the sheep will scatter (Zech. 13:7). Many leaders are weary, wounded and even thinking of quitting. This is at epidemic levels. Pray.
6. Our first three months have been fruitful and rigorous for Donna and me. Pray we are on guard for ourselves and the flock of God (Acts 20:28a) and Above all else, guard our hearts (Prov. 4:23). Pray we choose God’s pace and not the endless treadmill of ceaseless activity.
7. We are still in times of transition. Pray for wisdom, spiritual eyes, discernment and the joy of the Lord as our strength (Neh. 8:10).
8. Pray for open doors for the gospel (Col. 4:3). Pray that leaders trust Jesus and choose to abandon cheap grace, entertainment Christianity, and choose to abandon themselves to a cross-centered faith that follows Jesus no matter what.
9. Pray for Jonathan and Patricia. The wedding is June 11.
10. My book is done. I’m shopping for a publisher. As a rookie, there is a lot to learn, but it is going to happen. Right now the working titles are either DISASTER or WHEN THE UNTHINKABLE HAPPENS or BETTING THE FARM ON GOD. The subtitle is GRACE ADVENTURES IN THE MIDST OF LIFE’S DISASTERS. What do you think? Maybe you literary geniuses can suggest something more provocative or catchy.
Donna and I are rich … in friends. We thank God for you. Please send us your prayer list. We do pray when they are sent our way. Promise.